KKU has set up the direction of research work to be outstanding and creative as a world leading research center in outstanding research work of KKU:
- Medicine, Public Health and Tropical Medicine and health.// Tropical Disease Research Laboratory (TDR)//
- Food and food for health
- The holistic river basin management
- Mathematics and Science studies
- Bio-diversity of Mekong River basin.
- Arts, culture and society in the Great Mekong sub-region (GMS).
- Thai herbal and health products // Center for Research and Development of Herbal Health Products
- Business, economic and tourism in the Greater Mekong Sub-region.
KKU is regarded as a national university of research projects which aim to present all 6 clusters of research proposals including
- Health problems, especially in the Greater Mekong Sub-region.
- Food products and food for Health in the Northeast region
- Integrated Watershed Management
- improving the quality of basic/ fundamental education.
- Advanced and special materials
Research Centre of Science & Technology Units
- A joint Research center for dedicating to the hard disk drive components
- Agricultural Machinery and Postharvest Technology Center
- Research and development centre for renewable energy.
- Center of Geoinformatics for the Development of Northeast Thailand
- Research center for innovation and intellectual technology
- Groundwater Research Center
- Integrated Nanotechnology Center, KKU
- Fermentation Research Center for Value Added Agricultural Products
- Plant Breeding Research Center for Sustainable Agriculture
- Sustainable Infrastructure Research and Development Center
- Tropical Feed Resources Research and Development Center
- Agricultural Biotechnology Research Center for Sustainable Economy
- Applied Taxonomic Research Center
- Research and development center for integrated water resources management.
- Research Center for Environmental and Hazardous Substance Management
Working agencies that help support research: